Everything But The Girl
The countdown is officially underway! Today was my last official day of work until the new year, and with Mommy G finishing up her second week of leave, we are ready to launch ourselves full-time into final preparations.
The nursery is pretty much done, with the exception of the glider, which is apparently still on a slow boat from Marseille. (It figures that after my early blog rant about cribs, we got our crib in under a week but the glider is going to take 3 full months.) The TV is on the wall, the crib has a sheet and a bumper, a nice big blanket (read: acoustic dampener) is hung on a heavy duty wood curtain rod on one wall, and decorative shelves and a mirror adorn the others. We'll get some pictures up for those of you who are interested in such things.
We got the car seat inspected earlier this week, so we even have a legitimate means of bringing Baby G back from the hospital. They said I did a fine job of installing it, but they moved it to the middle seat even though there is no LATCH connector there. Apparently, it is safer to be in the middle seat and secured by a seat belt than via LATCH on the side. Stands to reason that auto manufacturers would therefore put LATCH hooks in the center seats, but no, not so much.
And while I'm on the topic, this whole car seat installation thing is the biggest load of nonsense I've seen in a long time. Every book I've read, and nearly every new parent I've talked to, indicates in no uncertain terms that installing the car seat correctly is damn near impossible. I've even heard from folks I consider to be extremely intelligent that the inspector basically laughed at them when they took their handiwork in to be checked out. Armed with this knowledge, I was highly motivated to do it right and prove that it could be done, no matter how long it took. So the other weekend I took the car seat base and the directions out to the garage and got comfortable. Five minutes later, the seat was installed, and according the built-in level indicator, all was good. Twenty minutes later, I was still sitting there re-reading the directions and wondering how it could have seemed so easy when everyone seems to think it takes an act of Congress to get these things installed correctly. Seriously, I've had a harder time getting golf clubs into the car. Eventually, I went back inside, unsure whether I should be worried about my own cognitive abilities or the impending downfall of the rest of civilization. Turns out we should be expecting the latter any time now...
Anyway, there are still a few final pieces to put in place - packing myself for the hospital (Mommy G has her bags by the door) and deciding on a name, to name two - but as of now we should be mostly ready to go when nature calls. Stay close - we'll keep you posted.
The nursery is pretty much done, with the exception of the glider, which is apparently still on a slow boat from Marseille. (It figures that after my early blog rant about cribs, we got our crib in under a week but the glider is going to take 3 full months.) The TV is on the wall, the crib has a sheet and a bumper, a nice big blanket (read: acoustic dampener) is hung on a heavy duty wood curtain rod on one wall, and decorative shelves and a mirror adorn the others. We'll get some pictures up for those of you who are interested in such things.
We got the car seat inspected earlier this week, so we even have a legitimate means of bringing Baby G back from the hospital. They said I did a fine job of installing it, but they moved it to the middle seat even though there is no LATCH connector there. Apparently, it is safer to be in the middle seat and secured by a seat belt than via LATCH on the side. Stands to reason that auto manufacturers would therefore put LATCH hooks in the center seats, but no, not so much.
And while I'm on the topic, this whole car seat installation thing is the biggest load of nonsense I've seen in a long time. Every book I've read, and nearly every new parent I've talked to, indicates in no uncertain terms that installing the car seat correctly is damn near impossible. I've even heard from folks I consider to be extremely intelligent that the inspector basically laughed at them when they took their handiwork in to be checked out. Armed with this knowledge, I was highly motivated to do it right and prove that it could be done, no matter how long it took. So the other weekend I took the car seat base and the directions out to the garage and got comfortable. Five minutes later, the seat was installed, and according the built-in level indicator, all was good. Twenty minutes later, I was still sitting there re-reading the directions and wondering how it could have seemed so easy when everyone seems to think it takes an act of Congress to get these things installed correctly. Seriously, I've had a harder time getting golf clubs into the car. Eventually, I went back inside, unsure whether I should be worried about my own cognitive abilities or the impending downfall of the rest of civilization. Turns out we should be expecting the latter any time now...
Anyway, there are still a few final pieces to put in place - packing myself for the hospital (Mommy G has her bags by the door) and deciding on a name, to name two - but as of now we should be mostly ready to go when nature calls. Stay close - we'll keep you posted.
Comments