The Joy of Soccer

As a parent, I think one of the great joys is being able to share things you love with your children. Over the past few months, Anna & Zach have started watching US Soccer together. They get out Zach's soccer scarves and chant "USA! USA!" while Zach attempts to answer Anna's every question. Yesterday was the US Women's World Cup Quarterfinal game against Brazil. Since Zach already spent the time writing up a blog post for another blog, I'll go ahead and borrow from The Thirsty Scholars (http://www.thethirstyscholars.com) and repost it. Enjoy!

SUNDAY, JULY 10, 2011

Posted by Zach at 11:59 PM

Today reminded me why I love sports.

Today I saw a team that had every reason to roll over and quit steadfastly and unanimously refuse to do so. And I saw them rewarded with an unimaginable triumph on the world’s greatest stage.

Today I saw a bench player step up to provide an inch-perfect delivery on the game’s transcendent play. I saw the star player receiving said pass erase myriad recent frustrations with a conversion in the most dire of circumstances. I saw a star-crossed athlete make the play of the game, then have it cruelly taken away, only to clinch victory by making virtually the same play again.

Today I saw a team wear patches of the United States of America over their hearts and channel the unflinching fire and determination that have marked this country since its earliest days.

Today I saw twenty thousand impartial observers rise in unison to support a team who deserved better than it was getting on the field.

Today I shared an indelible moment with my three year old daughter, yelling and jumping and dancing with her after a miraculous 122nd-minute goal – and again nine penalty kicks later, the last of which she watched with wide eyes and an eager grin after I prefaced it with, “If she makes this goal, we win.”

Today I recognized that only sports can reduce us to the pure, unbridled joy that is so frequently and innocently embraced by our children.

Today I participated in something magical, sublime, and unscripted, even though I was half a world away and had absolutely no rational expectation that I could possibly influence the outcome.

Today I saw a team exhibit the best of the competitive human spirit, and do so, in some miniscule part, on my behalf.

Today I saw sports perfectly embody the metaphor for life that it so often promises to be.

Today was a great day.

Comments

Popular Posts